Monday, April 14, 2008

Venezia, mi amore!

Venice, I am smitten. You could hurt me – lie to me, wreck me beyond all hope of repair or reconciliation, take everything I have and leave me stranded heart in hand – and I would still turn at your mention, blush at the sound of your name.


I fell for it all from the beginning – the canals, the narrow alleys winding and weaving to seemingly nowhere, the street musicians filling the air with the soundtrack to a fine romance. The fresh fruit and seafood markets. The decorated gondolas, the battling orchestras of Piazza San Marco. The water reflecting its soft-focus onto the Palazzo Ducale and the Ponte del Sospirl.


And your language – how beautiful and undulant, like a gentle ocean! Balanced on the tongue at times like a sigh of anticipation on the tip of the lungs; or a first kiss – held softly, delicately at the lips before lips part and the moment passes, and the eyes slowly open. When I hear your language spoken I close my eyes and hear Cabiria describing her nights – I hear Fellini behind the camera, working his art.

And I have to admit I walked your streets tonight hoping to get lost and never found – to get swept down some canal, or be pressed into some alley wall like a finger into soft dough – and so spend the rest of my days here, knowing what you know.

One day I will return to Venice – with my girlfriend or my wife – and we will fall in love for the first, or second time – wrapped so in your charms.

Venice soundtrack: anything played on an accordion

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't find Venice too commercial and tourisy? Next time, should stop by Verona. For the rest of your trip, look for a place or a scene for which you feel like exclaiming: "Is there a felicity in this world superior to this?"
Just curious.
mom

Anonymous said...

forgot to say that your photo of the canal is very beautiful.
Does the canal smell?
mom

Brekke said...

I too like the canal picture. And I too wonder if it smells. Luckily I don't have that feature installed on my internet, yet - no smell-i-vision here.

P.S. I am so jealous right now!