Friday, April 18, 2008

my kingdom for gelato

I am now so damned picky when it comes to gelato. I am a gelato snob. An aficionado of the most focused and passionate ilk. I was afraid this would happen – afraid now of the consequences, especially when I leave Italy in a few days and start craving that sweet, oh that most delectable delicacy – softly scooped out from the dreamscape of angels.

This list is for everyone, but even more so to remind me of my newly formed principles and the standards by which certain things should be judged. And so here is a top five list of things to watch out for and bear in mind when selecting your gelato in Italy:

5. If someone is standing outside of a gelateria telling you to “eat here, it’s the best!” – don’t: he’s a professional liar.

4. Never buy gelato from a place with multilingual placards. Italian is the language of Italy.

3. Real pistachio gelato should still have shells in it. Eat them like a man.

2. Highly piled and lavishly decorated gelati are trying to compensate for lack of flavor – go for the minimalist basins, with maybe a small ripple of a design on top. But nothing more.

1. NEVER buy gelato within fifty feet of a major tourist attraction. It will taste like you got ripped off.


Happy eating.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll have to remember those...

Anonymous said...

do they have a gianduja flavor in Italy? Can you believe I can find this flavor at Jason in 101 in Taipei and it tastes like heaven.
Wow, I should visit Italy once in my life time just for the gelato.

mom

Matt Sjoblom said...

I have been waiting for a food post for days! The consensus between mike and I is that reading your blog makes us think that a)Europe has awakened the deep sleeping poet in you OR b) you've spent the last 4 years lamenting that your best friends are idiots.

Either way, your food posts are an olive branch to us, the shallow few, who will never personify a river. Thank you, olive branch accepted.

On a more specific note, I feel your angst about gelato. I became a meat snob in Brazil, but after being home a few months I craved it so badly that I could accept the locally available brazilian food. It was a sad but liberating moment.

Brekke said...

mmmm....gelato.