Wednesday, April 9, 2008

i'm sad to say...

Vienna did not strike me as I thought it would. I expected the city to fill me with poetry, to capacity and overflowing – this the city of Mozart, of such immense tradition and culture, of art and opera. But it did not. Walking the city I felt very little at all. The streets were so very wide, everything so distantly spaced that I felt like I was walking through a museum, staring at old buildings as if they were artifacts behind velvet rope or glass casing. The city felt, to me, very inaccessible – so grand and opulent, so regal and out of reach – so much so that I tried not to cough for fear of disturbing something nestled in a divine equilibrium.


Which is not to say there was a shortage of activity – our two days in Vienna were amazing, and packed to the brim. I saw wonderful exhibits of Bruegel and Arcimboldo at the Kuntshistoriches Museum. I learned about the Empress Elisabeth – she who found comfort only in the shadows, and so became the shadow. I walked the Naschmarket and tried all sorts of food and wine, and marveled at the strong Turkish influence on the city – then pushed my way through the throngs at the flea-market. I watched Ariadne auf Naxos from the standing room only section at the Vienna state opera house, and closed my eyes every few minutes just to hear. I wandered into an anti-EU demonstration. I walked for miles without aching.










Everything was there to make me fall utterly, completely, irretrievably head-over-heels in love with the place - but still the city did not speak to me.

And so Vienna… Wien – we had fun, and you are a lovely city with so much to offer, but I don’t think it will work out between us.

It’s not you, Vienna – it’s me.


Vienna soundtrack – The Rolling Stones

2 comments:

Brekke said...

It was nice of you to break it off so gently. Are you still going to be friends?

Anonymous said...

You are not alone in your feelings about Vienna. An acquaintance's daughter said the same things about the city. Men's creation, however grand and beautiful, stands no comparison to Nature's.
mom