Thursday, April 10, 2008

if i may wax a moment...

Love is the single most important thing in my life. The love of family, love of friends, love of another. And there is absolutely nothing I would not do – or sacrifice – for love. I would consign myself a hundred times over to a life of mediocrity and sadness to know that someone I love truly – deeply and heartfelt – would be, from this moment forward, forever happy. I would forgo fortune and fame, turn down career and comfort for love – for all of these things are meaningless in its absence. Love is my north star, my guiding light – the strength in all my human weakness, a blanket’s warmth in coldest night. It is my only, and my all.

And with all of this in mind I know one thing with utter certainty: a life without love is a life less lived.

And how grateful now, am I, for this opportunity to travel Europe with my best friend – to sit in a park, swallowing down two and four scoops of gelato as they melt with a vengeful madness in the sun.


So happy birthday, Nina – my lovely, beautiful sister. And though this day you grow a year older, you stay – in my eyes – forever young.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you definitely may wax a moment.. Life is too short to not do so from time to time; it isn't healthy, most of us know, to let our focus on accomplishment and success dries up tears and other vulnerable emotions. I don't find abject poverty laudable, but a single-minded focus on recognition and accomplishment is a disease.
mom

Kim said...

What a beautiful tribute. I normally don't view fellow Baylor student's Facebook pages, but something stood out about you and your blog. While I know little of the medical students because I'm in the graduate school, it's nice to know that you take time to think and write about such things.

Brekke said...

Happy Birthday Nina! Someday I will have you be my travel agent, too!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday nina! that gelato is the best present ever.